The Real Cause of Dandruff: Symptoms, Causes, 7 Tips to get rid of it
What is Dandruff?
Dandruff which is also known as seborrheic dermatitis is a common scalp condition caused by the yeast-like fungus Malassezia which exists on everyone’s scalp and feeds on the natural oils on the scalp called sebum. When this fungus Malassezia tries to feed on the sebum, it further breaks it down to products such as oleic acid which can be very sensitive to almost 50% of individuals.
However, our body is very sensitive to oleic acid and when it reacts with it, the rate at which your skin cell renew increases resulting to accumulation of dead skin cells on the scalp which later begins to shed and fall off in small pieces and can be very noticeable on dark cloths. This therefore results in flaky, dry, itchy and inflamed skin on the scalp.
Dandruff can affect various part of the body including eyebrows, beards or mustache, scalp, hair face etc
Other causes of dandruff:
Aside from the yeast-like fungus Malassezia, dandruff can be triggered by some other factors which are stated below:
- Improper shampooing
- Reactions to hair products
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis also known as eczema, which results in inflammation of the skin.
- Excess oil on the scalp
Symptoms/Signs of Dandruff
- Visible small pieces of dry or greasy skin on the scalp and face
- White or yellowish flakes on the scalp
- Itchy scalp
- Red patches of skin on the scalp
- Inflamed scalp
7 Tips for Getting Rid of Dandruff
Dandruff can vary from mild to severe depending on individual.
1. Use an anti-dandruff shampoo: For mild dandruff, try using a regular gentle shampoo in order to reduce excess oil, remove dead skin cell buildup and debris on your scalp. If the regular shampoo doesn’t seem to help, try using a natural anti dandruff shampoo like OLEENA ORGANICS ANTI-ITCH DANDRUFF SHAMPOO at least once a week if your to wash your scalp and scalp thoroughly and properly and make sure to follow the instructions on the dandruff shampoo bottle.
2. Stay hydrated: drink as much water, teas or juice as you can. Staying hydrated from the inside can definitely reduce dandruff.
3. Use the necessary products balance for your scalp. Avoid using too many products in your hair as that can irritate the scalp when treating dandruff because the scalp can be very sensitive and can react negativity to irritants. We recommend OLEENA ORGANICS ANTI ITCH AND DANDRUFF HAIR CARE SET. It consist of 3 effective hair care products that targets the treatment of dandruff.
4. Keep your scalp lubricated: if you are the type that has dry scalp always, use an oil or spritz like OLEENA ORGANICS LEAVE IN SPRITZ to keep your hair hydrated and lubricated to avoid buildups that can actually flake up on your scalp. Remember not too over oil your scalp to avoid bringing back the dandruff due to excessive oil on your scalp
5. Choice of hair products: avoid using any products that contains harsh chemicals that can irritate and inflame your scalp. Use products that contains natural herbal ingredients like, neem, tea tree, willow bark, fenugreek, basil leaf etc and simple glycerin base.
6. Keep your hair moisturizeed: when your hair is moisturiser, the chances of scalp being dry is very low. Try as much as possible to moisturiser your hair often.
7. Always cleanse hair thoroughly when shampooing to make no dead skin cell remains on the surface of your scalp
Follow us on instagram for more hair care guide here