Top 5 Remedies for Dry Scalp
What is Dry Scalp?
Dry scalp is a condition whereby the scalp lacks enough moisture or water. If you your scalp produces less natural oil (sebum), you’re likely to experience dry scalp.
Signs of Dry Scalp
Dry scalp condition can result to
- patches of scaly skin,
- Smaller dry flaky skin,
- scalp irritation,
- stings or burns,
- peeling skin
- itchy scalp.
- Dry skin on other parts of your body
Dry scalp can occur due to a number reasons which can be either:
- environmental factors, (cold, hot,humid weather)
- how often you shampoo your hair
- taking in less water (dehydration)
- Using products that contains harsh chemicals
- Using hot water or artificial heat on your scalp and hair too often
- Improper washing of hair and scalp
Dry Scalp vs Dandruff
Dry scalp and dandruff have similar symptoms which makes them challenging to differentiate but they have different causes and treatments.
The easiest way to describe dry scalp and dandruff is that they are opposite of each other. With dry scalp your scalp gets extremely dry, irritated and flakes off while dandruff is a result of too much oil on your scalp accompanied with a yeast-like fungus, called Malassezia which already exist on everyone’s scalp and feed on the natural oils on the scalp and triggers dandruff. That excess oil increase the production of skin cells causing it to build up and then shed.
Aside from the yeast-like fungus Malassezia, dandruff can be triggered by some other factors which are stated below:
- Improper shampooing
- Reactions to hair products
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis also known as eczema, which results in inflammation of the skin.
- Excess oil on the scalp
Symptoms/Signs of Dandruff
- Visible small pieces of dry or greasy skin on the scalp and face
- White or yellowish flakes on the scalp
- Itchy scalp
- Red patches of skin on the scalp
- Inflamed scalp
- Dry scalp
To tell dry scalp and dandruff apart, you need to pay extra attention to the appearance of how the flakes on the scalp. When you become aware of these conditions you’ll be able to differentiate dry scalp from dandruff and give the suitable and right treatment.
5 Remedies for Dry Scalp
1. Avoid over washing your hair: Frequent washing of your hair or every day washing or shampooing of your hair can strip your scalp of the natural oils (sebum) needed to keep it moisturised.
2. Try a detoxifying clay mask: clay mask targets to rid the scalp and hair of all impurities that may result to flakes or scaly scalp. We recommend OLEENA ORGANICS CACO CLAY MASK. It detoxify, clarifies and also opens the pores on the scalp
3. Scalp massage with or without a scalp serum: to combat scalp dryness, scalp treatment should be one your main target. Use serum like OLEENA ORGANICS INTENSE HAIR FERTILIZER SERUM on your scalp to nourish it and leave no room for skin on your scalp to scale and flake up. Simply massage the serum into your scalp, to stimulate blood circulation, produce natural oils and stimulation of hair follicles
4. Use a tonic that balances the pH of the hair: Rose water is a great hair tonic that balances the hairs pH, hydrates dry skin and promotes hair growth. We recommend OLEENA ORGANICS SEA SALTED ROSE WATER
5. Drink enough water: drink as much water, teas or juice as you can. Staying hydrated from the inside can definitely reduce the rate at which your scalp gets dry
6. Avoid using products that contains harsh chemicals: some products contains chemicals that can upset and irritate the scalp especially those that contains alcohols that dey out the hair, damaging the root and drying out scalp